"The rise of Muslims to the zenith of civilization in a period of four decades was based on lslam's emphasis on learning. This is obvious when one takes a look at the Qur'an and the traditions of Prophet Muhammad which are filled with references to learning, education, observation, and the use of reason. The very first verse of the Qur'an revealed to the Prophet of Islam on the night of 27th of Ramadan in 611 AD reads:"Recite: In the name of thy Lord who created man from a clot. Recite: And thy Lord is the Most Generous Who taught by the pen, taught man that which he knew not." (Quran, 96:1-5)"And they shall say had we but listened or used reason, we would not be among the inmates of the burning fire." (Quran, 67:10)"Are those who have knowledge and those who have no knowledge alike? Only the men of understanding are mindful. " (Quran, 39:9)The Qur'an encourages people towards scientific research:."And whoso brings the truth and believes therein such are the dutiful." (Quran, 39:33)Every Muslim man's and every Muslim woman's prayer should be:"My Lord! Enrich me with knowledge.." (Quran, 20:114)The pursuit of knowledge and the use of reason, based on sense and observation is made obligatory on all believers.The following traditions of the Prophet supplement the foregoing teachings of the Qur'an in the following way:
- Seek knowledge "even though it be in China."
- "The acquisition of knowledge is compulsory for every Muslim, whether male or female."
- "The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr."
- "Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave."
- "God has revealed to me, 'Whoever walks in the pursuit of knowledge I facilitate for him the way to heaven.'
- "The best form of worship is the pursuit of knowledge."
- "Scholars should endeavor to spread knowledge and provide education to people who have been deprived of it. For, where knowledge is hidden it disappears."
- Some one asked the Prophet : "Who is the biggest scholar?" He replied: "He who is constantly trying to learn from others, for a scholar is ever hungry for more knowledge."
- "Seek knowledge and wisdom, or whatever the vessel from which it flows, you will never be the loser."
- "Contemplating deeply for one hour (with sincerity) is better than 70 years of (mechanical) worship."
- "To listen to the words of the learned and to instill unto others the lessons of science is better than religious exercises."
- "Acquire knowledge: it enables its possessor to distinguish right from the wrong, it lights the way to heaven; it is our friend in the desert, our society in solitude, our companion when friendless - it guides us to happiness; it sustains us in misery; it is an ornament among friends and an armor against enemies."For further reading go to the below link:-
Explanation of the Last Tenth of the Quran Followed By Rulings that Concern Every Muslim ( English )
Forty Encounters With the Beloved Prophet -Blessings and Peace Be Upon Him- His Life, Manners and Characteristics ( English )
The Guidance of Muhammad -Blessings and Peace Be Upon Him- Concerning Worship, Dealings and Manners ( English )
Translation of the Meanings of The Noble Quran in the English Language [with Recitation] ( English )
[From the Islamhouse.To go the link http://www.islamhouse.com/ to get more on Islam ]